Back problem is a very common phenomenon. But even if a person does not suffer from a backache, the spine still needs to be protected. A pretty important time for the development of this spine is at night. At this time, the spine should rest as it has worked the whole day long. While brain tissue is normally supplied with oxygen, it is important to ensure the correct position of the spine during sleep. For these purposes, orthopedic pillows are designed to keep the spine and head in the desired position as well as providing the support of the neck and head. Let us guide you on how to choose orthopedic pillows that would fit every family member. For more about your sleeping buddies, visit www.bedtimefriends.com.
Content of the article:
- Why choosing orthopedic pillows?
- How to choose an orthopedic pillow?
- Shapes and materials – how and what are these pillows made of?
Why choosing orthopedic pillows?
If a person sleeps without a pillow, it is harmful enough. In this case, the muscle can not relax. It worsens the blood circulation. These pillows are ideal for a break on the side of the spine during sleep. Orthopedic pillows will completely relax your spine.
Analyze how to choose an orthopedic pillow, you need to understand that it is not a panacea for any problems of the spine. However, this pillow makes it possible to completely relax the spine, performing the preventive function, in particular – preventing the development of osteoarthritis.
The goal is achieved by the particular anatomical shaped pillows. Typically, such pillows are carried out by one or two special rollers arranged along the edge of the pillow. This basic pillow is selected so that it is not too soft and well-groomed for your neck and head.
As we have said, this pillow is not a cure for spinal disorders, but they are used in the treatment of degenerative disc disease. Since it reduces the burden of the spine, it provides the possibility to relieve pain. This means that the patient is able to sleep well at night.
How to choose an orthopedic pillow?
The most important parameters to which you should pay attention when choosing an orthopedic pillow is the height of the roller. This parameter in different pillows can be different. From 8 to 14 cm, the cushion has the desired effect you need to “their” height of the roller. To define this option, it is not difficult – it is easy enough to calculate.
To do this, calculate the distance from the base of the neck to the edge of the shoulder. For example, if we have 10 cm head. Then you have to compensate at 1-2 cm in the for the punching of the mattress shoulder. We will have the final measure for the pillow size is of 11-12 cm. 1 cm height difference from the roll allowed.
It is a little more difficult to the people who have wide shoulders. In this case, you will need to look for a pillow with a relatively high roll which can simply not stand for sale. But there is a very simple solution – you can take advantage of the pillow with one average height of the roll by simply taking a pillow under the folded cloth.
Thanks to an orthopedic pillow, your head will automatically take the most comfortable position
There are some points that must be taken into account when choosing a head pillow. In particular:
- In the case when a person sleeps on his back, it is usually necessary to choose the average height of the pillow, with the roller in the 8-10 cm, and a relatively stiff substrate
- If a person sleeps on the belly, he or she had better opt for a low and soft pillow
- Height of the roller should be increased if you have already had a soft mattress
- If a man is constantly putting the pillow or his hands under his head, it means that the pillow is too low
- In the morning, if you wake up with woody shoulders and neck pain, it means that the mattress is too hard, and the pillow is too low
- If a person turns a lot at night in his sleep, then this may indicate that it is uncomfortable to sleep because the pillow is too high
- In cases of when a person sleeps on his side, and then often wakes up in another position (e.g., on the back), it can be considered that it is not due to too hard mattress. Maybe he is just uncomfortable with his own sleeping position. In this case, try to sleep with other position.
Shapes and materials – how and what are these orthopedic pillows made of?
Typically, these cushions are rectangular in shape and have the size of 60-80 cm to 40-60 cm. In this case, they can be used as normal pillows with a special case (they are sold with pillows). This will also include special pillows that look like beams rehabilitation or reels that can go under the head, and for recovery legs or lower back.
There are also orthopedic pillows for children. However, they will also be useful for children up to 3 years. Under this age, it is recommended that no pillow is needed.
Special attention should be paid to the material from which a pillow is made of. We are all accustomed to the classic materials of feathers and downs which have always been popular fillings for pillows. But it is precisely indicated that this “filling” can be dangerous because they are often the cause of allergies. So if you have allergy, opt for pillows made of other materials like bamboo pillows, for example.
To prevent this drawback, synthetic pillows are also ideal as well as memory foam, viscoelastic, latex foam. These materials have all the necessary qualities to ensure a good recovery for the neck and spine.
So now you know all information needed about the orthopedic pillows. Do you find this article helpful? Do you have any question for us? Feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading! And good luck with the purchase!